Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Expense of social reality

Drawing by Edward Gorey
from The Doubtful Guest

I knew at that moment adopting the creature was wrong. I could no longer control his thoughts and actions. I felt like Dr. Frankenstein – giving a life to a creature in a world he knew nothing of. All that I had accomplished was exposing the creature to an ideology that was not meant for him: one that by nature, he did not belong to.

Inclinations of my erroneous actions began the day I sent him to purchase cooking oil for our grilled brill dinner. The potential rejecting public reaction to my new circumstance of a furry being with currency in hand had not occurred to me until after his departure. My fear subsided an hour later when he returned to our igloo. However, he did not come home with oil in his hands, or anything for that matter. His currency seemed to be exchanged for something on his feet. He wore what appeared to be thin white shoes that cuffed his ankles and were held together with unsecure rubber bottoms - surely not made for icy grounds.

"What are those?" I had asked him, genuinely.
"Sneakers," he replied lightly.
"And where is the cooking oil?" I inquired.
"Still at the store."

He walked away into his bedroom. I sunk my head in my hands and rubbed my eyebrows to and fro. I wondered what sort of monster I was creating. He was proving himself as a being of material. I was determined to teach him the concept of value.

"This is my grandfather's stop watch." I put my hand out, palm open, with the rusted round pocket watch for him to take from me. He blankly stared at it. "It is an heirloom,” I continued in order to eradicate the discomforting pause, “passed down from my grandfather to my father to me. Now, I am giving it to you as a declaration of my gratitude and affinity."

He seized it from my hand and it raised it close to his face. His curiosity relieved me. That is until he suddenly stood without a word. He wobbled to our horseshoe-shaped door, and trucked his flapping white feet toward the pond. I followed him as quickly as I could, but the bad knee was getting the best of me again and I fell behind. Before I could catch him, the creature raised and released the chain of the pocket watch into a parabola formation, gravity forcing it downward, and I watched it splash into the broken ice of the pond. My hand raised just as his had, but it was too late. My last memory of my grandfather was lost and drowned forever.

- - - - - - -

The simplistic black and white drawing depicts a frozen moment in time. A middle-aged white man and a penguin-like dark-haired creature stand in the foreground. The man wears a fur coat suggesting the atmosphere is of a cold nature which is complimented by the entirely white ground he stands on. Perhaps the ground is covered with snow. The shadows near his feet would suggest the same as it provides a depth perception. The figures in the background seemed to be completely covered in baggy clothing as well. The creature has its natural fur coat, so him alone would not reveal the atmospheric conditions of the situation. The creature wears man-made sneakers that do not appear to be made for the snow, but for basketball.

The man and the creature stand parallel to one another in exactly the same position: their left hand is raised and their right arm sits down by its side. Though their gestures mirror one another, the meaning behind each differs. The man raises his hand in objection of what the creature is currently doing in that moment. The creature has tossed a pocket watch into the air with a body of water to catch its fall. The disapproval from the man suggests the pocket watch is of value to him. His bent eyebrows and stern look suggest he does not want the watch to be tossed into the water.

The shadowing of the drawing shows that the light is cast from above and it is as if the man is the creature's shadow and vise versa. The watch may have meaning, but it is also representative of time. The creature is throwing time away, or stopping it, by drowning it.

1 comment:

  1. well yours really is a story. a good one too. looking back mine is just confused bitching...

    ReplyDelete